Quote:

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Zomborg - Finished

Some details about this project:

I wanted to make a "Cyborg Zombie" using stuff I had around the house. Here's a list of things that went into the construction:

  • Paper mache
  • Paper-clay
  • Ping-pong ball
  • Plastic drink cup
  • Deodorant cap
  • Flexible hose
  • Lens from an old camera
  • Athletic supporter cup
  • Weed-trimmer line
  • Expanding foam
  • Hot glue
  • Paints
The only actual purchase for this project was a pint-sized can of gray paint I found in the mis-tint section of my home improvement store. Dry-brushing with a lighter color adds highlights and realism. Enjoy!











Zomborg Part 2


Here's the head with some detailing done with paper-clay, and a coat of masonry paint.
















My favorite part of the process is doing the foam-fill.
After cutting the head open I hot-glued the eyeball into place from the inside. Then, a short piece of PVC was inserted and expanding foam was added. Fun! This adds stability and provides a handle for the head - maybe for future mounting on a body.

Tan paint job - REJECTED!




















Now to add some character to this guy.
Disposable shop towels are great for adding skin-like wrinkles. Tear the towel so there are no straight edges, soak the pieces in white glue, and apply. A sculpting tool (or popsicle stick) is used to move the towel around to achieve that countoured, wrinkled look.


Here he is with a coat of gray paint, pre and post wash. Note how the wrinkles 'pop'!


I'm breaking this up into two posts. Next: Photo Shoot.

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Zomborg


Something coming back from the dead was almost always bad news. Movies taught me that. For every one Jesus you get a million zombies.
David Wong, John Dies at the End


I thought it would be fun to make a hi-tech zombie head using "found" items from around the house.


Using a prop skull as a model, I did rubbings to make templates.



The templates were transferred to light cardboard and attached to a paper mache ball which was then covered with more PM.


It's like a mirror image!

Eventually, I enlarged the eye sockets and enhanced the features with paperclay. The head was painted with white masonry paint to seal it from moisture.

The cybernetic eye-socket was a plastic cup painted black and cut to shape.


Don't worry ma'am, he'll only need the corrective lens for a few years.
A used plastic deodorant cap served as an ear.

The ear, however ...
He looks a bit too "Deadshot" at this point, but there's more to be done.